Over the years, I have come across many real estate investors that have been in business for years, yet they do not have a website for their real estate investing business. Whenever I talk to them, they have a no idea if they need one or not. Surprisingly a lot of them do not even know what this website thing is all about. Others think a website should be for the big guys like fortune 500 companies.
So the big question is, should you have a website for your real estate investing business or not?
What is a website?
As basic as this sounds, it is important to understand what a website is. If you are reading this article, then you are looking at a website. A website is simply an online presence where people can visit you virtually, get information about you, and do business with you. And sometimes this will happen even without meeting you in person.
Every website you see out there has three things:
- Domain name – this is the name that identifies you on the world wide web, such as myname.com. Each domain name is unique and can only be registered once. It is a good idea to think about the name you would like for your online presence. You can also research if the name is taken or not.You can register a domain when you buy your website, or register it separately.
- Hosting account – this is the physical location where the website is located. This is usually a space on a server. In most cases you will not have to think about this when looking for a real estate investor website, because it will come bundled with the website you buy.
- The website – these are the virtual files that you see. They sit in your hosting account, and serve the information you see when you go to the website. Again, when you buy a website, you will not have to differentiate all this as it would most likely come as a “website”.
It is important to understand the 3 components above because you might have to buy each one separately. In most cases you never have to think about them because one order takes care of all of them.
Should you have a website for your real estate investing business?
In today’s day and age, almost everyone starts their search on the internet. When a motivated seller is looking to sell their house, the first place they will look is on the internet. When you are looking to buy a house, you will most likely start searching on the internet before you even think about engaging a realtor.
It goes without saying that having a website for your real estate investing business exposes you to more people. It is an invaluable tool for real estate investing that works to boost your profits without giving you more work.
What makes a good website?
For the purposes of real estate investing, an online presence is not enough. Most people have informational websites. An informational website simply gives information about you, without necessarily engaging your visitors beyond providing information. However this is not enough.
A good website should work to promote your business and make you more money. Here are a few qualities a good real estate investor website must have:
- Attract leads – obviously attracting new people to do business with is critical to the success of any business. A real estate investor website must be well optimized for search engines so that it can attract leads hands off from the internet. The better placed you are on search results in the search engines, the more leads you are likely to attract. This does not happen automatically – your website must be well optimized for search engines to attract leads.
Search engine optimization is a wide topic on itself, but briefly, what this means is that the content on every page should be clearly recognizable through specific keywords by the search engines, and by real people. For example, when you go to Google and type “pizza delivery near me”, the search engines will return results for pizza outlets near you that deliver to you. It is unlikely that you will find results for car dealers. This is because only those websites and businesses optimized for pizza will be relevant for that search.
You will also notice that you will receive a few hundred results, starting with the top match to the last match. Most likely, you will respond to one of the top matches on your search results. The guys at the top have worked to optimize their websites and businesses that are better optimized than the others to appear at the top – hence they attract more leads.
This is the same principle that applies in real estate investing. A well optimized website will make you a lot of money for a long time to come.
- It must have clear call to action – whenever someone lands on your website, the goal is to get them perform a particular action such as signing up (such as to get an EBook, submitting their house information, etc). Your real estate investor website must be clear on what action you want visitors to take. Check the examples below for clear calls to action:
- It must be equipped to convert those leads to people who are ready to do business with you – when a lead signs up on your website, your website must engage them with a promise to fulfill their needs. A website equipped with a video speaking model for example will capture instant attention and keep the visitor engaged until they sign up.
Once they sign up, the website should be equipped with automated follow-up emails that follow up at pre-timed intervals with carefully written messages that should work to increase rapport and convert these prospects to closed real estate deals.
- Easy to use – preferably, you should manage everything from a simple virtual back office, even if you are new to computers. You do not need to know stuff like HML, PHP, etc. a good website should simply be a tool that allows you to get the job done without fuss.
- It should make your work easy – having a good real estate investor website does not mean you spend your life with your website. It should make your business easier, such as automating follow-ups, making offers, selling, wholesaling or renting houses, etc. a website should be a tool that cuts your work in half allows you to do more deals.
- Adaptable – a good website for real estate investing must be easily adaptable for any business model. You do not need to buy a new website whenever you change business models or whenever you have a new idea. Preferably, you should be able to manage this yourself without having to pay someone to customize it for you.
- Customizable – a good website should come loaded with hundreds of customizable designs, and the ability to customize everything on the website. All content and forms must also be fully customizable
- Real estate friendly – since you are in the real estate investing business, your website must be equipped specifically for real estate investing. It must be equipped with numerous features to manage your real estate investing business such as listing houses, managing buyers lists, attracting and Managing leads, and so on
These are just a few features that make a good real estate investing website. And yes, if you are living in this generation of the internet age, then you must have a website for your business.
Which real estate investor websites meet all these requirements?
If you already have our interactive real estate investor websites (realestateinvestingwebsites.com), then you know they meet all the above requirements plus more. They are fully equipped and created from the ground up for real estate investing with one goal in mind – close more deals using less money, time and effort.